If you're a personal friend of mine or are a subscriber to my blog, you know that I am a committed yogi. I started practicing yoga about 2 years ago and have never looked back. Like many, I thought yoga was about being very still and with my type A personality, couldn't fathom the idea. But then I learned that there are so many different ways to practice like Yogalosophy like I talked about here, you just have to find a form that works for you and once you do, you'll see the 5 ways to battle your stress with yoga on day one.
Sunday is yoga day for me! It's time just for me, to stretch my body and strengthen it at the same time with challenging poses that were so difficult at first that I work to improve every week. It's amazing how commitment to yoga enables you to move your body in ways you never dreamed you could achieve. But most importantly, what comes along with practicing yoga is it's calming effect that gives you the ability to battle the stresses in your life. It's something that you don't have to think about, once you have surrendered to your practice, the natural effects take place and you reap the benefits.
Here are 5 ways to battle stress with yoga:
1. Unlike any other exercise, Yoga releases tension and muscles caused by daily activities such as sitting for extended periods of time at a desk. We can't always control the ways our bodies have to be on a daily basis, but we can choose to release that restriction as often as possible. Yoga is very different from most types of exercise because you move in ways that don't cause strain on your body, it's not aerobic, but at the same time, you use almost every muscle in your body and burn hundreds of calories. As you continue and commit to your practice, your body is strengthened and lengthened so much so that you will sit straighter and feel better.
2. It's important to combine meditation during Yoga to help you concentrate better throughout your practice. Don't get freaked out by the word meditation if you haven't done it before, it's just simply allowing your mind to connect with your body and there is no better time to do that than during yoga. Breathing deeply can improve vitality by increasing the amount of oxygen that reaches your brain. Every form of yoga incorporates the practice of proper breathing techniques for relaxation, to rest the mind from the constant whirlwind, to find an internal calm, and to energize and purify your body.
3. Most people don't realize that Yoga can incorporate your children. Yoga is so much fun and easy for children of all ages to do because they already have the flexibility. If they start Yoga when they are young, they can retain the flexibility in addition to creating self-discipline and concentration.
4. Yoga is safe during pregnancy and can alleviate back pain and fight depression. Studies have shown that pregnant women who practice yoga have said that it helped make their labor easier and shorter. Meditation can also be calming and centering during pregnancy while partnered with yoga.
5. Yoga fights anxiety and depression and can affect your brain in positive ways. There really are some yoga positions that stimulate your pituitary gland and release endorphins which reduces the level of stress hormones.
These are 5 of the many ways to battle stress with yoga. Anxiety and depression have sky-rocketed in recent years and Yoga is an essential tool in treating them naturally. Enhance your quality of your life today and start practicing yoga.